Consider this your guide to spicing up your summer look.
Summer isn’t just for beaches and backyard BBQs. Summer is all about rebirth and new beginnings.
These simple head-to-toe upgrades will have you looking and feeling your freshest.
Step one: Clean up your wardrobe.
As the clothes sorting process begins try not to get bogged down in nostalgia. When you scrutinize each piece in your wardrobe, remind yourself that now is the time to make the big decisions. Don’t hold onto those skinny jeans in the hope you’ll suddenly drop three dress sizes and fit into them again. Only keep what truly makes you happy and helps you to look and feel your best. If you come across tough decisions, snap a photo and ask for the opinion of someone you trust and that knows you well. A second pair of eyes will be handy when you’re debating over keeping/tossing that body-con crop top that you think you might wear but “just haven’t gotten around to.”
First things first – Make piles of clothing in the following categories:
- Donate (good items that you can afford to part with)
- Sell (the really good stuff)
- Repurpose/Recycle (the really bad stuff)
- Store (winter/seasonal items)
While you’re sorting ask yourself the following questions:
- Does it fit?
- Have I worn it in the past year?
- Will I ever wear it again?
- Does it represent the way I dress now (and not the way I dressed five years ago)?
- If it’s damaged or ill-fitting, will I ever bother to actually fix it or get it tailored? Despite how much I love it.
- If I saw this in a shop, would I buy it?
- Do I feel confident when I wear this?
Finally, when you have all of your keep clothing:
- Sort by color palette
- Make a capsule collection with your favorite outfits to save time
- Make sure things are organized and easily accessible
Step two: Declutter your beauty counter.
You’re finally going to tackle the mountain-high pile of beauty products you’ve collected over the years…
This includes the bright frosted lip balm you bought in college, or the self-tanner that turns you a shade of tangerine. Now is the time to part with what you don’t need, go get what you do, and clean what you have.
1. Throw out expired products: did you know most beauty products are only good for up to one year? Using expired cosmetics can cause irritation, infection, and acne.
2. Clean your makeup applicators: Some experts suggest that you should clean your makeup brushes and sponges every single week. They also think they should be replaced completely every three months.
Summer is the perfect time to not only clean your makeup applicators but replace them if needed.
To clean your beauty brushes and sponges, you don’t need a special cleanser. Just use a non-toxic soap or even your facial cleanser. If you have a clean makeup remover, that works too.
3. Swap seasonal skincare and palettes: Summer is a good time to switch out products based on the season. If your winter cream is thick and highly protective, you may want to switch it out for a lightweight, water-based formula as the temperatures warm up. Regardless, make sure that your spring moisturizer contains SPF, or that you have a step to add SPF to protect your skin from the sun.
Summer may also be a good time to add in some antioxidants like Vitamin C to combat allergens.
If the harsh winter weather has left your skin feeling dull and dehydrated, consider an exfoliant or refreshing face mask to revitalize your skin and wake it up for springtime.
Changing products with the seasons isn’t just limited to skincare. This is the perfect time to update your palettes from darker shades to brighter shades.
4. Try new products: You can also brush up on the latest makeup and skincare trends and update your beauty routine accordingly.
First though, make sure you have the basics in place…
Good options for spring include self-tanning drops to add to your moisturizer, and a professional teeth-whitening treatment to help you look naturally fresh and glowing as you step into the new season.
Thankfully an expensive trip to your dentist for whitening is no longer necessary. You can now get the same results from the comfort and convenience of your home.
If you’re looking for an easy at home teeth whitener, there is a viral product that over one million people claim actually works.
SNOW has been a favorite of social media and a-list celebs (like the Kardashians) for a long time. Its patented teeth whitening kit has a 99% satisfaction rating, and because of its mass popularity it has been showcased on GQ, The Kelly Clarkson Show, Oprah Magazine, and The Doctors.
This at-home treatment uses patented technology formulated by dentists to whiten even the deepest of stains in a way that’s safe and gentle on tooth enamel (which you cannot get back once destroyed).
Formulated for all types of teeth, even sensitive ones or those with veneers – The all-in-one home whitening system delivers proven results without causing long term damage or tooth sensitivity like DIY mixtures or other, less gentle whitening brands.
The best part (aside from model-like pearly whites)? The high-tech system only takes as little as nine minutes daily.
Step three: Focus on your self-care.
Take this opportunity to show some love to your mind, body, and spirit!
How you look and how you feel is intrinsically linked. If you feel great on the inside that’s going to translate to your confidence, mentality, and overall appearance.
Start with these self-care basics. From here you can add on more things that make you feel amazing, like less screen time for example, or an earlier bedtime.
- Get outside at least once a day.
- Make a commitment to move your body each day.
- Eat more fresh fruits and veggies.
- Drink water. Lots of it.
- Make time for meditation and/or reflection at the beginning or end of the day.
- Set time aside for hobbies and self expression
As you enter this new season don’t get so wrapped up in the frantic new pace that you forget to take time for rest and for health.
A happy person that takes care of themselves (mind, body and spirit) is definitely beautiful!